Constructors, Inc. – Nebraska’s oldest paving contracting company – is the lineal descendant of a firm originally founded in 1908 by George P. Abel, Sr. under the name Abel Construction.
With an initial investment of $100.00, George purchased six heavy shovels, two steel wheelbarrows, and one hand concrete mixer. In 1910, Abel Construction started its first city paving job – six blocks along “O” Street from 33rd Street to Wyuka Cemetery in Lincoln, NE. In 1911, shortly after completing its second city street paving project on South Street from 11th to 27th, the company purchased its first asphalt plant.
From 1920 to 1928, Abel Construction continued city paving and had large contracts with Alliance, Ashland, Beatrice, Lincoln, Nebraska City, Norfolk, North Platte, Wayne and many other Nebraska towns. From 1931 until the start of World War II, Abel Construction completed about 25% of the highway work in the state of Nebraska.
In 1974, Abel Construction changed its corporate name to Constructors. Today, Constructors continues working in the eastern region of Nebraska, with emphasis on heavy highway concrete and asphalt paving.
The managers, superintendents, foreman, and crew members of Constructors, Inc. and its predecessors have always had a reputation for quality performance and timely completion in a wide variety of projects.